Monday, August 3, 2009

Grub Street Workshop 1a

I realize i forgot the most important moment during my grub street workshop.
per our instructor, we had to go around the table and introduce ourselves.

so off the round table it went:
one was a teacher's assistant for english at an university
one taught french creative writing @ harvard university
one went to harvard divinity school
one went to MIT
one was a grad student/scientist

and there i was... the random blip on the screen.
so i started off by telling everyone my name. and then my occupation.
"i work in finance. doing analyst work @ jpmorgan. it's not the most funnest job but it pays the bills"
alas.
i caught myself too late. those words did indeed pass these lips of mine.
i had uttered 'most funnest'.
yes. most funnest. bastard child of Bad Grammar!
finer artists (pronunced arteeste) have died a more noble death by words.
it is the most amateur grammatical faux pas to ever be uttered in that room, im sure.
polite smiles all around.
i was branded before it began... i am the workshop's official street urchin from da streets.
while everyone was listing their favorite authors, (a myriad of unheard of authors whom everyone was nodding in affirmation at, the only name i recall is toni morrison), i listed nick hornby and dave eggers as my favorites.
so i didnt fit in.
but you know, maybe a younger more immature me would have lied and tried to bluster myself up to something im not. but at this point in my life, i dont care- i will occupy whatever ragamuffin title they give me with confidence. this world would be too boring if everyone was the same. i can be the eclectic yet adorable step daughter of the group. klutzy, delightfully in tap with popular culture. not quite an intellect but i make up for it in charm.

signing off:
the riff raff. much love. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment